Setting in WPI CAVE

Just got a new camera. I might be posting a lot of pictures in the coming days.

Advertisements

Razor Edged Pocket Knife

I decided to try a slightly different technique to sharpen the hell out of one of my EDCs (every day carry). I think it came out pretty decent. I can also now say that I can shave with a pocket knife. The final grit I used was #6000, and I finished it off with a leather strop.

Peach Mead 3 (Bucket Modification and Bubbling)

After 24 hours from when the yeast first went in, I had to put in the next ¼ of yeast nutrient and degas the mead with a hand drill and a paint mixer. The yeast got a little carried away, and the mixture kept foaming over the bucket even with the lid on, so we had to improvise. With a Dremel handy, my roommate cut and polished a hole in the top of the paint bucket lid such that we could install our bung and airlock, preventing further spillage of the mead.

Peach Mead 2 (Yeast Addition)

We had to wait an entire day to let the temperature of the ingredients to drop to ambient air temperature. It’s best for the mead to brew at 60 F, but with the ambient air temperature over 80 F, we had to just mix the yeast in and hope for the best. I accidentally mixed up the yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme, so I ended up adding ¼ of the pectic enzyme in along with ¼ of the yeast nutrient. Hopefully that won’t change things too much.

Peach Mead 1 (Peach Purée)

This is the second step of mead making. The first step involved pitting, cutting, freezing, and defrosting the peaches. Freezing the peaches bursts the cell walls, thus allowing the yeast to get to the nutrients more easily. Defrosting is not necessary with a good blender, but you’ll probably have to reheat the water.

Because we didn’t have a really large pot on hand to mix 5 gallons worth of fluid, we broke up the process into 4 batches with two different pots. All of the ingredients were later mixed in a 5 gallon paint bucket.