Finally finished putting a new clutch in my car. It was a pain in the ass but a good learning experience. Definitely not doing it again with my current equipment.
I had to do some pretty ridiculous things. For those who don’t know, the clutch is basically like a glorified friction plate that operates between the engine and the transmission. There’s a lot of other things between the outside and the clutch, so I’ll try to summarize the steps in the following:
- Control arms are removed from the subframe
- Driveshafts come out of the transmission
- Engine needs support, so I built a support bar out of wood
- Subframe dropped or removed
- Engine lowered
- Transmission slides out
- Clutch comes out of the transmission
After that, it’s assembling everything in reverse! Something I’ll definitely remember forever is that getting a transmission back up to the engine while on my back is probably one of the most frustrating things I’ve ever done.